Townend Bradley – A2 poster
Here is my final poster design. The original idea was to create a design which is simplistic, bold, and easy to recognise, while also being aesthetically pleasing. Although I feel as though I have achieved most of these things in the final design, I do not feel as though I have managed it as well as I had hoped.
The thing that puts me off the most is the simplicity of the background compared to the characters. The colour scheme is quite basic, with just black and white, and the layout of the characters makes it look too empty and dull. Also, although I am pleased with how the characters themselves look, the scaling and position of them does not do much to highlight this. I feel as though, for the detail and colouring to actually work, the characters would have to take up most of the screen, however, this would not fit the brief as well, seeing as it would not clearly represent the relationships of the characters.
If I were to re-do this, I would try to think of a more simplistic way of representing the characters, rather than doing detailed head portraits. I would also try and make the information represented on the poster more complicated, perhaps showing the family tree of certain characters, or go more in depth with the hierarchy of the characters. I would also try to include more colour, particularly in the background, and perhaps some text to help convey the information I am trying to present.
In this session, I have created 3 different designs for the layout of my poster. Although I am pleased with the design of the characters themselves, I am not sure about the poster. Because the images themselves took so much time to create, I seem to have neglected thinking about layout and composition. Now that it is getting closer to the deadline, it is wise to submit a final design and focus on writing my evaluation piece, rather than spending too much time worrying about the design of the poster.
Because Star Wars has a very expansive universe and the relationships between characters are rather complex, I have decided that it would be best to keep my poster design relatively simple, in order to focus on aesthetics rather than worrying too much about intricate details.
My poster idea is to pick the top 8 characters that best represent the Rebel Alliance (Luke, Leia, Han Solo, C-3PO, R2-D2, Obi Wan, Yoda, Chewbacca) and 8 characters that represent the Galactic Empire (Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine, General Tarkin, Admiral Piet, Storm Troopers, Scout Troopers, Boba Fett, Imperial Royal Guard), and represent them on each side of the poster, showing who are the ‘bad guys’ and who are the ‘good guys’, and also showing their rank within their respective circles.
Initial Photoshop mockup – Galactic Empire layout
I made this mockup on Photoshop so I could figure out the layout easily and find a way of presenting the images that was informative and visually appealing. I think this design works best, as it clearly communicates the hierarchy of the Empire. I may change the colour of the concentric circles in the final design, because, although the initial idea was to emulate the colour of the Sith lightsaber, I think that the red glow looks messy and out of place with the rest of the image.
The first thing I did in this session was import the image of Luke Skywalker onto Photoshop, remove the background using the magic wand tool, and modify the exposure and brightness settings. After that, I posterised the image and used the ‘cutout’ effect to simplify and stylise the image, ready to export onto Illustrator. After loading the image into Illustrator, I begun tracing the outlines using the pen tool, and different layers for each section (base colour, boots, belt, lightsaber, etc.)
Although there is still some more work to do, I am reasonably pleased with progress I have made. This session was much more successful than my first attempt, and I am continuing to make progress and develop the skills I will need to develop my final poster. The next thing I am planning to do before I work on any more Illustrator, is to create some concept sketches and do some research on the information I am intending to include in my final design.
In today’s session, I attempted to recreate the image of a Stormtrooper helmet in Adobe Illustrator. The first thing that I did was take the original image and load it into Photoshop. I had to posterise the image and change the contrast settings to make it easier to trace onto Illustrator. This was a step that I should have taken with my last image, as it would have made the process much easier.
In a new layer, I used the pen tool to trace the outline of the image before using the Live Trace tool, because the outline faded whenever I tried directly tracing it. After tracing the outline, I duplicated the unedited layer, then used the Live Trace tool to define the black outline and convert it into a vector image. I then re-used the pen tool and traced around the black outline again, so I could clean up some of the inaccuracies and smooth some of the edges. I also did the same with the grey areas of the image.
Here is the final image: stormtrooper